Monday 27 July 2009

Viewing the Setting Sun

My next goal will be to observe the Annular Eclipse in Qingdao China on January 15, 2010.
It has been my long-term goal to see an annular eclipse during sunset and this celestial event by some stroke of coincidence will just happen perfectly.
About 6 months after my recent conquest in a place very much accessible.

Qingdao, China has been my choice for 3 major reasons :

1) It near the centerline thereby giving the longest possible duration

2) It is accessible by plane or train from Shanghai or Beijing and

3) Maximum eclipse will occur near sunset.

The timing afford me the chance to view the sun directly.

Intuitively, viewing the setting sun without any filter should be safe. However I made sure there's a valid basis for this. The link herewith gives a comprehensive discussion on why it's safe to stare at the setting sun.



Incidentally in this link I stumbled upon an article that debunked an astro Urban Legend that Galileo got blind because of improper usage of the scope while viewing the sun. On the contrary he became blind at the age of 72 from a combination of cataract and glaucoma.. =)

172 days to go.. Qingdao here I come..

No comments:

Post a Comment